Car Care / Detailing / Paint / Visual Mods detailing, washing, paint, body kits, rims and all other car care and body mods.

Johnston & Magwood – Unprofessional Tire Care

Old 01-06-2007, 01:01 PM
Don't think me unkind...

2TONE_93GT is just really nice2TONE_93GT is just really nice2TONE_93GT is just really nice2TONE_93GT is just really nice
Exclamation Johnston & Magwood – Unprofessional Tire Care

Johnston & Magwood –Unprofessional Tire Care

I’ve dealt with Johnston and Magwood in Mississauga about 4 times in 5 years. I’ve spent from $600 - $1500 on tires each visit. So I’ve been there a few times, spent some money and was treated very well the first 2 times and figure “hey, they’ll treat me right because I spend money”……….nope, read on
About 2 years ago I had went to Johnston and Magwood with the wife. She was getting new tires put on her rims, not a huge deal. Though I don’t remember the details 100% of what happened I do remember being pissed at the way the installer was talking to my wife and to myself. I was so upset that I manned up and spoke to the manager at the time. He blew it off as a misunderstanding and finalized it with a “not my problem” attitude at the end.
Fine, I left pissed off, told myself never to go back and made a forum post on that useless local mustang site (which of course the post got deleted). Time went on, the world didn’t stop turning blah blah blah (but the mustang site remained useless).
Fast forward to (January 5 2007). I call our sponsors, not in; 2nd time I’ve called, once for rims and once for tires. So I start making calls for some new rubber for the Mustang. It’s been about 2 years since dealing with Johnston and Magwood so I call them. I speak to Neil and get some quotes on Kumhos / Fusion, discuss sizing then inquire about drag radials for the rear. Neil tells me he can get them, but they will be around $350 each, exact brand I don’t recall nor did I make note, I just needed a drag radial. Drag radials were an after thought to the goal of getting 4 17” 40 series tires.
Fast forward to this morning. I round up my truck, grab a business associate and go for a cruise to Johnston and Magwood to order these tires up. We discuss my previous dealings with the shop, chuckle about it but all agree it will be ok; I had a good feeling after talking to Neil.

Quick thought…..The real deciding factor to deal with them, they can mount on chrome and do 40 series no problem.

We drive for about 35 minutes, arrive onsite and begin our lobby waiting until we can be assisted. An Asian lady comes flying in looking for directions to the library, interrupts Sal (manager I find out later) and he quickly puts her in her place with a “I’m busy with a customer”. So Sal and Neil work on this disgruntled customer who murmurs something about not wanting to rent a car for 2 weeks over this problem he has. Sal snaped back he had a solution for the guy and “im doing it as a courtesy”. Half the story is all I got, but it didn’t sound good from the customers annoyed pitch and Sals rude response.
My associate and I assist the Asian lady and point her in the right direction (customer service point for us). Sal breaks free and offers us assistance. I inquire about purchasing some tires; Mickey Thompson or drag radials. Sal responds “we don’t sell them here, we sell high performance tires”. So right away I think did these idiots just tell me last night they can get drag radials and today they’re saying no. The thought must have ran through my head the instance he finished with the “we sell high performance tires”. No offer for other solutions from Sal, not even a “we carry x brand drag radial”, nothing, just a business deal killer.
I leave now knowing that a) they don’t sell MT or Drag Radials, b) they only sell high performance tires.. c) Johnston and Magwood has really lousy customer service.
After a quick stop at two other shops to get pricing I head home. No buying today, because no pricing and nothing in stock. Was ok, Johnston and Magwood according to Neil would only be able to have the tires in come Monday.

I start composing this because I want to make sure my friends on these websites are aware of the problems that happen there at Johnston and Magwood. I start thinking, hey, the right thing to do is call and tell them I’m displeased. I call at about 12:15 pm and first speak with Neil. Conversation as expected, he’s the front man and doesn’t have much to say. I know its not his fault and im assuming even if there was something to be done about it, he’s not the guy. I ask who the shorter white guy was and Neil tells me Sal. So I ask who the manager is, “Sal”. So, Sal gets on the phone and we start discussing the problem at hand. (he confirmed they sell DR's, not MT)
From his angle, who’s at fault for our lil customer service debacle? Was it me because I walked out fast without inquiring about “what else can you sell me”. Or was it Sals’ shortness with me and lack of wanting to offer up more options.
Sal said sorry, I accepted and I told him I would still review my experience with his shop and post it once again (except this time no useless can delete it).

So, my overall point. Yes, Johnston and Magwood can do nice work, but so can many other shops out there. Johnston and Magwoods’ customer service is **** poor and from my last two dealings, nothing has changed. I will avoid them in the future and I suggest others do to. There are many other shops out there that would love to take your money and be helpful and respectful, even informative.
It bums me out that places like this treat people so shitty.

GREAT MUSTANG SITE WHERE THEY WONT BAN YOU FOR POSTING THE TRUTH :thumbsup: Shameless plug for my buddy
Old 01-06-2007, 01:48 PM
~~ Hardcore Newb ~~

Tib99 street rep is low. keep going
Good informative read! I've heard bad things about them. Thanks for looking out
Old 01-07-2007, 12:43 AM
GTcars - Post God !

Supra_RZ is a name known to allSupra_RZ is a name known to allSupra_RZ is a name known to allSupra_RZ is a name known to allSupra_RZ is a name known to allSupra_RZ is a name known to all
Well at least i know when i go looking for tires , that will be one place to avoid going too
Old 01-07-2007, 12:47 AM
~~ Hardcore Newb ~~

slammed vw street rep is low. keep going
me to c----y service.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:40 PM
Skilled GTcars Poster

Fresh_Prince street rep is low. keep going
i appreciate the post..thnx
Old 02-10-2007, 12:45 AM
Junior GTcars Poster

Z-Tuned will become famous soon enoughZ-Tuned will become famous soon enough
And the moral of the story is...never do business with a guy named Sal.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Don't think me unkind...

2TONE_93GT is just really nice2TONE_93GT is just really nice2TONE_93GT is just really nice2TONE_93GT is just really nice
Originally Posted by Z-Tuned
And the moral of the story is...never do business with a guy named Sal.
LOL, that may have been the first warning sign i overlooked
Old 02-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Experienced GTcars Poster

drift_n_shift has a spectacular aura aboutdrift_n_shift has a spectacular aura about
good to know, thats for posting this

i've had good experience with a firestone tire shop on mccowan back when i was about to buy a 84 trans am. very informative and friendly. but for imports (and others), i think a really good shop worth check out is our sponsor, tires23. good prices imo and informative.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:42 PM
Junior GTcars Poster

Z-Tuned will become famous soon enoughZ-Tuned will become famous soon enough
Tires23 is the bomb for performance stuff. I can't say if they do much drag radials/rims but for R compounds and HP street stuff awesome! All kinds of crazy wheels.

Plus they know whats up when you want stupid crazy offsets, tuck, dish whatever and they do nice fender rolling. Very knowledgeable and skilled.

*Not a paid endorsement
Old 03-07-2007, 01:11 PM
~~ Hardcore Newb ~~

Space Janitor street rep is low. keep going
Good post... they are close to where I live.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:58 PM
~~ Hardcore Newb ~~

DavidN street rep is low. keep going
Good customer service can be hard to find sometimes. I took my car to a shop to get new tires installed recently and overall they did a good job, but the tech made a frickin mess of my car inside. His hands were dirty with brake dust and my nice tan interior was black in many places. Ugh.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Don't think me unkind...

Ironic.... Here we are today (4 years later) and I am looking for new tires for another ride and have been making the rounds. A friend suggested Johnston and Magwood so I google them for their number not even remotely remembering this specific incident but the previous one to it.

Upon googling I see this thread and reread what I had to say.

Screw Johnston And MAgwood. Ill buy elsewhere
Old 12-13-2011, 12:55 PM
~~ Hardcore Newb ~~

jimmyhhhhshsh street rep is low. keep going
Re: Johnston & Magwood – Unprofessional Tire Care

Well, this past saturday i took the time to travel down to see Nick at his shop ( NicksAutomotive.ca ) and see the progress of my 1993 vortech powered ford mustang. I really feel comfortable taking my car to Nick. The guy is so personable and authentic that i believed in him before i even seen his work. But, as i’ve been watching the car grow i can say that the work is great. Nick is in a position to grind through it and is not rushing it. The job is big but the work appears to be bang on. No complaints and i am sure it will stay that way.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Average GTcars Poster

GTCz-Roger will become famous soon enoughGTCz-Roger will become famous soon enough
Re: Johnston & Magwood – Unprofessional Tire Care

Originally Posted by jimmyhhhhshsh
Well, this past saturday i took the time to travel down to see Nick at his shop ( NicksAutomotive.ca ) and see the progress of my 1993 vortech powered ford mustang. I really feel comfortable taking my car to Nick. The guy is so personable and authentic that i believed in him before i even seen his work. But, as i’ve been watching the car grow i can say that the work is great. Nick is in a position to grind through it and is not rushing it. The job is big but the work appears to be bang on. No complaints and i am sure it will stay that way.
Welcome to the forum