Traffic Tickets & Car Insurance Discussion got a speeding ticket? need to fight the ticket in court, affecting your car insurance?.

How do police check our insurance?

Old 11-03-2007, 10:54 AM
  #1  
GTcars Regular
Thread Starter
 
ricernoob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,059
Rep Power: 549
ricernoob street rep is low. keep going
How do police check our insurance?

Hey guys, I'm having the same auto insurance problem as almost everyone else in Ontario (especially the ones under 25): the rates are too damn HIGH!!!

I honestly have nothing against the idea of paying auto insurance, but thanks to our private insurance system (some other provinces have gov't issued insurance) it is not possible to pay insurance without starving (again, especially if you're under 25).

Let's say you get your pink insurance card, and then you cancel your policy. If you get pulled over and you give the officer your pink slip, does he actually call the company and verify?

HOW DO THEY KNOW THERE IS A POLICY BEHIND THE SLIP?

P.s. this is for a 100% STOCK car, no mods, no crap. Very low-key, average looking 2001 4-door civic.
ricernoob is offline  
Old 11-03-2007, 11:14 AM
  #2  
Junior GTcars Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 366
Rep Power: 535
6Msentra will become famous soon enough
go **** yourself.

hit me and find out what happens when you have no insurance....

or...

get hit by someone else and find out what happens with not insurance...

the cops are the least of your worries.

if you cant afford a car, take the bus. the transit system here is very good... just takes longer than driving.
6Msentra is offline  
Old 11-03-2007, 11:41 AM
  #3  
GTcars Regular
Thread Starter
 
ricernoob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,059
Rep Power: 549
ricernoob street rep is low. keep going
Originally Posted by 6Msentra View Post
go **** yourself.

hit me and find out what happens when you have no insurance....

or...

get hit by someone else and find out what happens with not insurance...

the cops are the least of your worries.

if you cant afford a car, take the bus. the transit system here is very good... just takes longer than driving.
You are the reason why there is such a thick fvcking middle class. BECAUSE YOUR PURPOSE IN LIFE IS TO WORK TO MAKE OTHERS COMFORTABLE/RICH/WEALTHY etc etc

Show me and specifically point out to me where I said I don't want to pay insurance?? I CLEARLY SAID I WANT TO...

ok, fvckface? so you get the difference? I WANT TO, but if I get a new a$$hole everytime I make the premium, I'd rather just not pay for the SHORT TERM. Tell me if you still can't comprehend, because I may even draw a picture for you.

Oh and if your dumba$$ gets hit by me...trust me, I'll pay you cash for your damages even if they are up to $10K or so.

And yes, I do have that much money sitting around, not that I need to prove it to you.

But I'd rather not pay 7K out of my investments/income for fvcking insurance.

Next time read the post twice, a$$wipe.

P.S. If anyone has any useful answer to the original post, feel free to reply.
ricernoob is offline  
Old 11-04-2007, 01:17 AM
  #4  
~~ Hardcore Newb ~~
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: hamilton
Posts: 21
Rep Power: 430
team haymaker street rep is low. keep going
well they do check, they dont need to call, it comes up when they run the plates. remember to get the plates you need the insurance, they go hand and hand.
if your good, you'll get the car towed at your expense and a $500 fine.

6msentra....if he were to hit you, you would be covered through your DCPD portion of the policy (direct compensation property damage) because it wasnt your fault and your premiums will NOT go up at all. your insurance company will compensate you for your loss at no charge.

ricernoob, if you hit someone with no insurance your screwed, in many ways,
example: you drive into 6msentra's car cause $10,000 damage to the car, are a threshold injury to him. (threshold meaning serious disfigurement) threshold damages in this collision total $500,000,
6msentra's car is payed for, and his damages are payed for too by his insurance company, his company can then subrogate the money they paid 6msentra from you. (meaning they will come after you for all the money they spent) this is only because the injury met the threshold, and was over a specified limit.

if theres another insurance/law guru on here please correct me if i messed a part up, im still relatively new with certain portions of the field.
team haymaker is offline  
Old 11-04-2007, 02:17 AM
  #5  
GTcars Regular
Thread Starter
 
ricernoob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,059
Rep Power: 549
ricernoob street rep is low. keep going
Originally Posted by team haymaker View Post
well they do check, they dont need to call, it comes up when they run the plates.

.
Incorrect ...I've had experience with this. I know of someone who canceled their insurance after they got the pink slip in the mail.

Then they got pulled over and showed that slip and absolutely nothing happened when the officer came back to return the slip and license....

However, THIS OCCURED IN 2003/04'

So this DOES ENSURE that officers only have the evidence of a pink slip saying that there is a policy under which the vehicle in covered. If info does come up on their computers, then why didn't it for this driver MULTIPLE TIMES?

Think about it, is there an insurance database that exists for the use of the police force so that they can see who is currently insured and who is canceled?? I HIGHLY DOUBT IT...I have never heard of any such collection of data that officers can access via their computers.

I think the only records an officer can access on his computer is everything that is recorded under the driver license number...you know?

The only way an officer can check for insurance is by making the phone call. IF YOU RECALL BACK TO 2003/04' when the Woodbridge scene was starting to slow down due to high regulation, there were stories of officers calling insurance companies (especially for modified cars)

Anyone verify this information?

Thanks
ricernoob is offline  
Old 11-04-2007, 02:28 AM
  #6  
Junior GTcars Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 366
Rep Power: 535
6Msentra will become famous soon enough
you're completely missing the point. getting an insurance fine is far better than injuring a pedestrian for instance, or if you crash and your passenger is injured, etc.. normally your insurance pays for that, lost wages, lawsuits ets... now youre on the hook.
and if someone hits me, or if i hit them and they dont have insurance you can bet that i am making sure the cops bust their ***. sorry, but there is usually a reason for someone driving without insurance, and it is never good.

take the damn bus.

and if you can pay damages up to 10g's... why not pay the insurance? you're making no sense... if you were to do 10g's in damage to someones car, the cops would be called because it would be a serious crash.
6Msentra is offline  
Old 11-04-2007, 02:50 AM
  #7  
GTcars Regular
Thread Starter
 
ricernoob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,059
Rep Power: 549
ricernoob street rep is low. keep going
Originally Posted by 6Msentra View Post
you're completely missing the point. getting an insurance fine is far better than injuring a pedestrian for instance, or if you crash and your passenger is injured, etc.. normally your insurance pays for that, lost wages, lawsuits ets... now youre on the hook.
and if someone hits me, or if i hit them and they dont have insurance you can bet that i am making sure the cops bust their ***. sorry, but there is usually a reason for someone driving without insurance, and it is never good.

take the damn bus.

and if you can pay damages up to 10g's... why not pay the insurance? you're making no sense... if you were to do 10g's in damage to someones car, the cops would be called because it would be a serious crash.
Nope, you're completely missing the point.

In fact, I cannot even believe you just said you'd call the cops to bust someone who is driving uninsured...seriously, ask yourself, what is your motivation to doing something so ****ing ridiculous?

Are you just a **** in general, or does it pleasure you to watch someone else suffer?

Seriously, that's pathetic...cos like I said, if the guy agrees to pay your damages then why do you need the police involved?

Are you one those 40 yr-old moms preaching about "SAFETY FIRRRSSST"

Seriously buddy, nobody wants to scam insurance, BECAUSE THEY ARE TOO BUSY SCAMMING YOU AND ME.

I'm not a teenager, but still under 25, and I'm fvcking sick to my gut with high rates and slavery-minded people like you.

BELIEVE ME, it's LESS headaches for me to actually pay their damn premium...but holy $hit, their lowest asking rate for a 11-year-old Chrysler is $4500...How am I suppose to make payments like that while working p/t and paying full-time tution for school?

Now tell me, you see where the REAL problem is? IT'S THE DAM RATES. Why is it that in other provinces ppl are paying as little as $50/month??? Because they have public insurance, not like Ontario where fvcking private enterprise has a stranglehold on the entire province and they don't even wana do something about it cos they're so brainwashed like you.

P.S. stand at the bus stop yourself in -20c this coming winter and then come back and type here again.
ricernoob is offline  
Old 11-04-2007, 03:20 AM
  #8  
Junior GTcars Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 366
Rep Power: 535
6Msentra will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by ricernoob View Post
Nope, you're completely missing the point.

In fact, I cannot even believe you just said you'd call the cops to bust someone who is driving uninsured...seriously, ask yourself, what is your motivation to doing something so ****ing ridiculous?

Are you just a **** in general, or does it pleasure you to watch someone else suffer?

Seriously, that's pathetic...cos like I said, if the guy agrees to pay your damages then why do you need the police involved?

Are you one those 40 yr-old moms preaching about "SAFETY FIRRRSSST"

Seriously buddy, nobody wants to scam insurance, BECAUSE THEY ARE TOO BUSY SCAMMING YOU AND ME.

I'm not a teenager, but still under 25, and I'm fvcking sick to my gut with high rates and slavery-minded people like you.

BELIEVE ME, it's LESS headaches for me to actually pay their damn premium...but holy $hit, their lowest asking rate for a 11-year-old Chrysler is $4500...How am I suppose to make payments like that while working p/t and paying full-time tution for school?

Now tell me, you see where the REAL problem is? IT'S THE DAM RATES. Why is it that in other provinces ppl are paying as little as $50/month??? Because they have public insurance, not like Ontario where fvcking private enterprise has a stranglehold on the entire province and they don't even wana do something about it cos they're so brainwashed like you.

P.S. stand at the bus stop yourself in -20c this coming winter and then come back and type here again.
i used to do that when i couldnt afford a car plus insurance.
right now you can't afford it... youve got to pay to play, so right now you have to be responsible and take the bus.
so what if you have to pay 4500 a year... the cost has nothing to do with the vehicle you drive, hell, my insurance went down when i bought my current car, and judging by your views on how insurance is priced i should be paying ALOT more. but then again insurance prices are based on ALL risks associated with the person they are insuring. sorry, but you fit into a bracket where you are a higher risk... thats just reality, and judging by your attitude and single-mindedness (oh, and ignorance) it is fully warranted.
as far as your question "how am i supposed to pay for all this stuff...", the answer is simple. you have to prioritize your life and do whatever is more important. a car is not that important in the grand scheme of things. in the GTA it is a luxury, not a necessity. well, if you are currently too poor to afford luxuries, then deal with it, and one day you will be able to afford them. your life wont end because you dont have a car for a couple of years. there are so many people in this city that dont have a car and survive just fine.

and yes of course i would call the cops if some uninsured sack of got into a crash. usually there are serious reasons that they are uninsured... sure there are people that cant afford it, but they should be on the bus as well... and if they cant afford insurance, they certainly cant afford to fix my car. the other group are the ones who keep getting suspended licences for driving infractions, people that keep getting cancelled because they keep crashing... they are all bad drivers who shouldnt be driving in the first place. so **** them. irresponsible losers who need to be taken off the road.
6Msentra is offline  
Old 11-04-2007, 11:12 AM
  #9  
~~ Hardcore Newb ~~
 
AcuraTL_SSM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Markham
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 0
AcuraTL_SSM street rep is low. keep going
yea, you can do just show the pink slip and nothing will happen to you...my friends been doing this for about a year now
AcuraTL_SSM is offline  
Old 11-04-2007, 02:12 PM
  #10  
GTcars Regular
Thread Starter
 
ricernoob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,059
Rep Power: 549
ricernoob street rep is low. keep going
Originally Posted by 6Msentra View Post
i used to do that when i couldnt afford a car plus insurance.
right now you can't afford it... youve got to pay to play, so right now you have to be responsible and take the bus.
so what if you have to pay 4500 a year... the cost has nothing to do with the vehicle you drive, hell, my insurance went down when i bought my current car, and judging by your views on how insurance is priced i should be paying ALOT more. but then again insurance prices are based on ALL risks associated with the person they are insuring. sorry, but you fit into a bracket where you are a higher risk... thats just reality, and judging by your attitude and single-mindedness (oh, and ignorance) it is fully warranted.
as far as your question "how am i supposed to pay for all this stuff...", the answer is simple. you have to prioritize your life and do whatever is more important. a car is not that important in the grand scheme of things. in the GTA it is a luxury, not a necessity. well, if you are currently too poor to afford luxuries, then deal with it, and one day you will be able to afford them. your life wont end because you dont have a car for a couple of years. there are so many people in this city that dont have a car and survive just fine.

and yes of course i would call the cops if some uninsured sack of got into a crash. usually there are serious reasons that they are uninsured... sure there are people that cant afford it, but they should be on the bus as well... and if they cant afford insurance, they certainly cant afford to fix my car. the other group are the ones who keep getting suspended licences for driving infractions, people that keep getting cancelled because they keep crashing... they are all bad drivers who shouldnt be driving in the first place. so **** them. irresponsible losers who need to be taken off the road.
Point fully understood. However, I have zero accidents and only one speeding ticket WHICH IS NO LONGER EVEN ON THE RECORD since it was many years ago (2002 I Believe).

AGAIN, for the third time (and the final time) I will bring this to your attention once again. The problem in ontario is that of PRIVATE INSURANCE, not of bad drivers. Are you telling me the rates here are so astronomical because the ENTIRE DAMN COUNTRY'S BAD DRIVERS WERE SHIPPED TO ONTARIO???

BAD DRIVERS CAN JUST AS EASILY BE CONTROLLED (EVEN BETTER) UNDER THE GOV'T SYSTEM AS IN OTHER PROVINCES.

I see your point, but let me tell you once again that your starting point and your logic is COMPLETELY FLAWED. You cannot even seem to get your head around the heart of the problem. You keep focusing on the end user. Very grade school.

Thanks for the compliment on my single mindedness and ignorance. I'm more interested in watching out for my own interest than to live for someone else. Or even worst, in your case, live to make someone else rich.
ricernoob is offline  
Old 11-04-2007, 04:23 PM
  #11  
Junior GTcars Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 366
Rep Power: 535
6Msentra will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by ricernoob View Post
Very grade school.
haha, very good! you obviously have me pegged .

the fact that i am only commenting on one part of your tantrum would suggest that i either agree with you on the rest, or simply don't care about the rest...
6Msentra is offline  
Old 11-04-2007, 05:08 PM
  #12  
Experienced GTcars Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 2,163
Rep Power: 0
drift_n_shift has a spectacular aura aboutdrift_n_shift has a spectacular aura about
From your profile, it says you are 23 years old, and you just said you have 10k in the bank.

If that's true, you should be able to get and afford insurance for around 2-3k a year... depending on your record.

Shop around. If your still getting high rates, sell you civic and get something else. I'm 19 and, for example, bel air direct "only" wants about $3k for a 1992 BMW 325I. They want about 4-5k for a 92-00 Civic hatch. I also refuse to pay 5k liability for a 2-4k car when I have a clean record.
drift_n_shift is offline  
Old 11-04-2007, 09:32 PM
  #13  
~~ Hardcore Newb ~~
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: hamilton
Posts: 21
Rep Power: 430
team haymaker street rep is low. keep going
actually the problem is not private insurance. you need some education when it comes to insurance. the premiums that we pay are used to finance all industries withing the province. the money is not just put into a pot and collected for fun and to be extremely rich. the majority of the cash is held up in investments that without our economy would suffer greatly.
insurance s the cost of a loss of a few among the many. without, we'd all have to have millions of dollars in the bank to cover our losses.

plus if your paying that high your not telling us the truth about your insurance record,
when your below 25, rates are based on age mainly. then experience, car, territory, use.

also when it comes to provincial insurance youd be screwed ricernoob, do you understand how provincial insurance works? when you get your plate sticker you pay the insurance too,if you dont pay the insurance you wont get your sticker, its one cost. so if your worried about the monthly rates try paying it in one payment. im sure youd be happier.

ricernoob, so your experience with this is what happened to your friend? not exactly your experience is it? im not being an *** but i have friends too that have been stopped without insurance. the cops know, and usually they allow you to get the car home, well some do.

and incase your wondering or have questions feel free to ask me, i know insurance and law quite well. im working towards my CIP designation for insurance right now and am a private investigator right now. (did police foundations aswell, and work very closely with the police, until i am one)
team haymaker is offline  
Old 11-05-2007, 11:06 AM
  #14  
Guest
 
Bookm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Stratford, On., Canada
Posts: 99
Rep Power: 0
Bookm street rep is low. keep going
There is a law that states you must call the police if damages exceed a certain amount (either $500 or $1000.. I forget which) or if there is personal injury. So if you were to hit someone resulting in even minor damage, it's unlikely the other guy is going to be cool with you asking that the cops NOT be called. Why should HE break the law on YOUR behalf by not calling the police as he is required by law to do.

So eventually, it IS going to be determined that you do not have insurance and the minimum fine has been increased to $5,000 for a first time offence. And if you were to hurt someone bad, you could be looking at a wage garnishement to the victims insurance company for the rest of your life.

I truly do feel your frustration. I once seriously thought about doing the same thing your friend is doing (and you are considering). But it's only a couple years before you turn 25 and your rates will come down. It's a truly HUGE risk that I would recommend you not take.

BTW... Civics are one of the most expensive cars to insure. I would recommend a boring old Escort (lowest of the low).
Bookm is offline  
Old 11-06-2007, 03:16 AM
  #15  
~~ Hardcore Newb ~~
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kitchener
Posts: 86
Rep Power: 430
92p10 street rep is low. keep going
Have up to date stickers on your plates and a legit pink slip (cancelled? They cannot check that..especially after 5pm they can't even call..even though they never would..too ****ing lazy) Wear your seat belt and drive the speed limit...hardest part is not wigging out when a cop is behind you. Ive done it..and in extreme cases..sure, you gotta get to work/gotta eat..but keep it short term. If your thinkiing of doing this long term..gert another car..that hgas cheaper premiums. Why? Cuz if you kill someone in an accident its MURDER w/o insurance.
92p10 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do police check our insurance?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Page generated in 0.15716 seconds with 24 queries